Most people renovate their home themselves and are not afraid to hang the hammer, but they hesitate when it comes to electrical repairs. Here are 5 reasons why it is worth being an “home electrician”.
- Lack of electricians: It is easy to find people to replace windows or install a siding. They are also found in free fall from the sky. Being able to find an electrician when you need it is a real challenge. Like the plumber, a good electrician, especially one who has time to take on “do it yourself and restorer” jobs can be rare indeed.
- Electricians are expensive : If you are planning to save on remodeling costs, the first place to start is with highly skilled trades like the electrician. The downside, of course, is that if a good job is not done you will see the consequences. There is a learning method associated with electrical work that is not found in any other similar demolition task.
- Electrical work is the cleanest : Compared to installing or demolishing drywall, or any other type of renovation, electrical work is the cleanest. In most cases you work in a healthy environment, unless it is an attic or basement. While the key thing is that “if you don’t like getting your hands dirty, don’t commit to a do-it-yourself renovation,” it sure is nice to have a special day.
- Electrical work makes sense : No friction in electrical work. In fact, it’s all based on tried and true rules and all very logical methods. You have books and charts to go in the right direction, and if something doesn’t work out, there is a real and only reason why it is wrong.
- Electrical work is easier than you think : Many renovators are discouraged at the idea of poking around in the electrical service panel and installing new circuits. Yes, contact with the flaps inside the service panel is a very serious business. But panel maintenance work is only one aspect of electrical work. Heavy lifting to be performed in the new circuits can be done safely by “do-it-yourself restorers”, and if desired, an electrician can be hired for this last work of connecting to the service panel. Or better yet, if you stay cautious on the service panel, you can safely do the job yourself.